Sunday 2 September 2007

A Vegetarian Feast


The Bloke actually requested vego food. Something about eating too much junk recently, it seems. After I picked my jaw up off the floor, I remembered this month's Delicious recipe for zucchini fritters.

So here's the feast. We have a salad, baked pumpkin & sweet potato, drained yoghurt, cavolo nero with garlic, an eggplant stuffed with onion & roast tomato, baked mushrooms, and the zucchini fritters. Some of this is for Ron - good old Lata Ron - because there are only two of us. The eggplant didn't get touched, but the option was there, and I have lots of leftovers to eat in the next few days.

I won't post recipes for everything. The cavolo nero was boiled, drained, and pan fried with olive oil and garlic. It came out a little too dry; I must have been overenthusiastic with the draining. The mushroom were drizzled with olive oil, balsamic vinegar and chopped parsley - and just 1/4 cup water to help keep them moist. The eggplant was similarly simple - fried onions & garlic & roast tomatoes. I make roast tomatoes most weeks, to use up any that didn't get eaten in salads or sandwiches.

Recipe 1. Simple cheese salad
A good handful each of rocket and baby spinach leaves.
A nice vine-ripened tomato, cut in wedges.
30g aged provolone cheese, shaved with a vegetable peeler.
Olive oil and balsamic vinegar, to taste.
Place all ingredients except oil and vinegar in a bowl, toss, and drizzle with the oil and vinegar separately. It doesn't get much simpler than this. Serves 2.

Recipe 2. Zucchini Fritters
I want to link to the Delicious recipe, but it's not online at taste.com.au yet. While searching I noticed that there are already four zucchini fritter recipes from Delicious. This month's version is flavoured with parsley, mint, onion, fetta and sumac. When taste.com.au is updated I'll link it in, promise. Here it is at last!

Cooking today: See above.

No comments: