Friday 7 September 2007

On Eating Leftovers for a Week

I had a lot of food in the house - too much, really. The Bloke forgot to tell me that he was going to Sydney for a few days until *after* I'd done the shopping. I froze what I could, but there was still the remains of Sunday's vegetarian feast, assorted other vegetables and salads, some poached chicken breast, bacon, and deli sliced turkey to deal with. And only me to eat it.

Here's how it went. Vego feast components italicised.

Monday: Turkey salad rolls for lunch, and for dinner, a stir fry with capsicum, snowpeas, spring onions, chilli jam and cashews, and the poached chicken. Rice, too.

Tuesday: I finished off the turkey, sweet potato and the rest of the baby spinach and rocket in a big salad. I added cucumber, capsicum, tomato, spring onion and cheese, and a simple raspberry vinaigrette dressing. For dinner, I reheated the eggplant with the remains of the fetta cheese crumbled on top. I baked the cauliflower with garlic, lemon & olive oil, and nuked a few baby peas for green.

Wednesday: For lunch, I used the pumpkin and cauliflower to pad out to the remains of the stirfried chicken. (I'd already eaten all the vegetables out of Monday's version.) For dinner, the last 3 fritters and the drained yoghurt were finished off, with a salad of watercress, orange, spring onion & capsicum. Very pretty, that was - red, orange & green.

Thursday: cauliflower, pumpkin, tuna, chilli & cheese a la microwave mush for lunch. Roast tomato, mushroom & bacon pasta for dinner, finishing the final bit of perishable feast leftovers. The Bloke was due back, and said he'd appreciate dinner. The way to this woman's heart is definitely by praising her cooking. Well, that, and chocolates.

Friday: I'm goin' out. Bugger leftovers. I won't be cooking again until Sunday. I'm contemplating roast pork.

Apart from the food listed, I also ate up the fruit - strawberries, grapes, oranges, pears, passionfruit. I made a grape dessert that's worth a recipe.

Grapes in Yoghurt
200g natural yoghurt (I used attiki low fat)
400g seedless grapes, washed
2 tablespoons honey
4 passionfruit
Mix the yoghurt, honey & passionfruit pulp together. Add the grapes. Stir gently to coat.

Notes: The texture contrast of the creaminess and the juicy grapes is the main point of this. You can use other flavours for the yoghurt - brown sugar, lime zest & dark rum is very good. The recipe is based on a thing my Mum used to make in the 70s - sultana grapes in sour cream, sweetened with brown sugar. If you're not worried about your weight, this is excellent.

Cooking today: Nothing!!

No comments: