Thursday 20 September 2007

Getting better...

Something's taken the edge off the cough - could be time passing, the antibiotic, or the cortisone. Whatever, I'm glad of it. I made it up the road to the shops, and I'm doing odd bits of prep work for tomorrow. I'm running little cycles of 10 minutes prep, 30 minutes lie down. I've got the Crèmes Brûlée in the oven as I type. I used a Donna Hay recipe, but I'm suspecting that it will be too sweet. I wish I'd cross checked other recipes before adding the sugar. Oh well, done is done. Perhaps it will be better when chilled. I'm also making the impossible quiche today, and a native pepper cheese spread.

Recipe 1: Native pepper dip/spread
2 tsp native pepper berries
1 tsp lemon myrtle
1 tub Philly spreadable, light cream cheese.

Break the pepper coarsely in a mortar and pestle. Blend it all together. Add a little milk if it's too stiff - for a dip it needs to be looser than for a spread. Let it rest for several hours for the spice to infuse - it will go pink.

Recipe 2: Impossible Spinach Quiche
Part 1:
200g cooked, chopped spinach.
2 or 3 large spring onions, chopped
100g fetta, crumbled
100g cottage cheese
1 tsp lemon myrtle
1 tsp dill (the dried leaf, not seeds)

Part 2:
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup self-raising flour

Topping: Grated parmesan cheese, to taste

Preheat oven to 200C. Mix part 1 ingredients in a bowl. Mix part 2 ingredients in another bowl and whisk well until smooth. Combine gently, pour into quiche dish or large pie plate, sprinkle with topping, and bake for 45 minutes.

Notes: I used one of those Jamie Oliver Flavour Shaker thingos instead of a mortar and pestle for the dip. It's quite a useful gadget. Frozen and defrosted spinach is fine for the pie recipe.

Cooking today: As above, and for tonight I've bought Latina ready-made pasta and sauce. I'll add some bacon and chilli flakes, to make a sorta kinda arrabiata. And I'll nuke some broccoli. Nothing with too much work.

No comments: